Google
 

Saturday, June 28, 2008

Mane N Tail Detangler

In the spirit of taking it back to the old school, I decided to find out what my local Rite Aid had in the "ethnic hair care" section.

I picked up a jar of All Ways "Natural" Super Gro "Conditioning Hair Dress" aka grease, something I haven't used in at least 10 years. My mom, sister and I really thought we were doing something when All Ways Indian Hemp came out years ago.

I also got a bottle of Mane 'n Tail Detangler. I've never used the Mane 'n Tail products before, but I've seen them advertised all over the drug store Black hair magazines. My hair has been super tangled lately, so I decided to give it a try. Well, it works. It really did make my hair easier to comb. The only potential drawback is that the main ingredient is water, which means when you spray it on your hair it will start to shrink. If you don't want that, it's best to use this product when you're braiding or cornrowing your hair to stretch it, that way when it's dry your hair will be stretched.

So here's what I did with the two products: I undid one twistrow at a time, sprayed the detangler, applied about three nickel sized dollops of grease, brushed and combed in sections. Then I redid the twist, pinning the ends up. My hair does look much more moisturized with less frizziness, puffiness, and flyaways, but I'm sure that will change when I don't do anything to it for a few days. It's also greasier than I've gotten used to with using veggie glycerin, but it's still a worthy experiment.

I will post pics when I get my camera charged up.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW!! so it really works my hair is Long really thick and dry also hard to comb. So you think this product will help my hair?

Admin said...

I would say yes, probably. I even used it on dry hair which is quite a feat for combing. Just a couple of tips on combing if you don't already know: 1) hold the roots of your hair in a fist while you comb out the kinks/tangles from tip to root 2) start with a wide toothed comb; you can switch to a finer toothed comb for more smoothness after you work out the big tangles 3) always always always comb hard to comb hair in sections; as small as needed to avoid frustration which can lead to ripping instead of combing! ;0)

Anonymous said...

ooo, thanks for the reminder. My daughter recently cut the front of her hair off and I am sitting here struggling with the growing back process. I forgot how effective main n Tail products were when I was a child. happy hair care!