Google
 

Monday, September 25, 2006

You Never Really Know What Your Locs Will Look Like Until After You Loc Your Hair...

A friend of mine called me yesterday to talk about locing her hair.

I offered her all the advice in my mental rolodex - what size parts to use, how to get the desired level of uniformity (or lack thereof), what method to use (freeforming vs double strand twisting), how to keep it "professional" enough for work, etc. We talked about mutual friends' locs, and how they compared to what her locs might look like. We discussed how the locs start off thicker than they will ultimately be (those started with double strands, that is), how palmrolling makes them appear thinner than the end product and they "blossom" later on.

Somewhere in this conversation I realized something and told her: you never really know what your locs will look like until after you loc your hair. Part of the locing process is letting go; learning how to "go with the flow."

Much Love,

Kaya Casper, Publisher
Naturally You! Magazine
The Natural Haircare & Lifestyle Magazine

www.NaturallyYouMagazine.com
kcasper@NaturallyYouMagazine.com

4 comments:

brunsli said...

I agree comepletely. It took me a while to come to terms with the fact that my locks would be a bit unpredictable. They don't look like what I wanted, but I've decided to go with them and love them just the same.

Goodnapps said...

Amen to that! I'm still on the wait and see plan.

Anonymous said...

I'm with Tanya - I'm still on the wait and see plan also. My babies are 14 weeks old and seem to be changing daily.

naadii salaam said...

sometimes we change just as much as our hair...after having 130 medium-small, shoulder length locs for 10 years, i recently decided to double the size of my locs (by joining them together in pairs) and stop cutting them. we'll see what happens over the next 10 years.

~naadii~